March 2019 Update
With the approval of Windham voters by referendum on November 7, 2017 the Windham High School Renovate as New Project proceeds.
- Representatives of Windham Public Schools including a Board of Education member, Superintendent Garcia and other Planning and Design Committee members met with Connecticut Department of Administrative Services Office of School Construction Grants and Review staff on November 22, 2017 for a Conceptual Review meeting on the project. The education specifications were reviewed in detail. This was the first scheduled meeting with the State on the proposed project.
- On November 27, 2017 the district received a letter from the state indicating approval of the project and a reimbursement rate of 79.64%.
- The state has capped the reimbursable cost of the high school project cost at $78,613,738 for the Board of Education offices, renovation of Windham High School and renovation to accommodate the Windham Early Childhood Center.
- The project was forwarded to the State Bonding Commission on November 29, 2017
- The Town Council has appointed a School Building Committee. The committee meets the first Monday of each month at the Board of Education Central Office Conference room at 7:00 PM, 355 High Street, Unit B. Meetings are open to the public.
- Once appointed, the committee's first order of business was to prepare a Requst for Proposal for architectural firms. After the review process, Friar Architecture was selected.
- Friar will work with the Building Committee to design the plans for the renovation to meet the educational specifications.
- The committee has selected a construction manager who will oversee the project, and an owner's representative.
- Once Educational Specifications are set, the design process is expected to take up to a year to complete, with opportunities provided for public input and comment along the way.
October 2018 Update
On October 9, 2018 an informational meeting was held at Windham High School updating the community on Windham High School Renovate As New project.
More informational sessions are planned in the coming months as the plan progresses.
The Building Committee meetings are open to the public, but the Board of Education School Planning & Design Committee meetings are open, too, for offering input and questions regarding the renovation process or plan. That committee meets the third Thursday of each month at 5:00 PM at Board of Education Central Office conference room, 355 High Street, Unit B.